Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is very toxic. It combines with the body's blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen. If inhaled for prolonged periods, carbon monoxide can cause serious illness or even death.
It can be produced when combustion of any fuel (heating oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, propane, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood) takes place without sufficient oxygen.
Exposure to carbon monoxide causes symptoms that are sometimes mistaken for those of a cold or flu - headaches, dizziness, fatigue and nausea.
Always operate all appliances as intended according to the manufacturers instructions.
Possible sources of carbon monoxide:
If you suspect you have a problem with carbon monoxide in your home: